Here is a shortlist of online opportunities for church leaders and worshipping communities to learn about recent events through a racial justice lens. The Toward Racial Justice team encourages you to listen, to speak up, and to support those who are suffering.
Prayer to End Racism
Lord Jesus Christ
who reached across the ethnic boundaries
of Samaritan, Roman and Jew,
who offered fresh sight to the blind and freedom to captives,
help us to break down the barriers in our community,
enable us to see the reality of racism and bigotry,
and free us to challenge and uproot it
from ourselves, our society and our world.
— John Bucki, S.J. (from Living God’s Justice: Prayers and Reflections)
Learn more about the impact of COVID-19 and other current events on those who are marginalized. Some of these are curated lists that continue to be updated with new material:
· Rev. Dr. Otis Moss III | The Cross and the Lynching Tree: A Requiem for Ahmaud Arbery
· Collection of News Links That Detail the Impact of the Pandemic on Marginalized Communities
· The Impact of COVID-19 on Native American Communities
· Coronavirus and Latino Health Equity
· Resource List for Asian-Americans and Others
· Resources for Undocumented Immigrants and their Families During COVID-19
Resources for People Who Are White to Become Better Racial Allies:
· Town Halls to Minimize Bias in the Lutheran Church A series of Town Halls scheduled for June 2020 that prioritize the voices of intersectional Lutherans. While organized by the Sierra Pacific Synod – ELCA, conversations are open to all who are interested in learning from our past, evaluating our present and strategizing our future. Pre-register in order to get the Zoom link.
· Becoming the Body of Christ – Condemning White Supremacy Recording of a recent online conversation hosted by Bishop Strickland of the Southeastern Synod—ELCA, joined by Presiding Bishop Elizabeth Eaton, Pastor Tiffany Chaney, Pastor Ron Bonner, Ms. Roxann Thompson, Ms. Judith Roberts, Pastor Matt Steinhauer, and more.
· William H. Lamar IV: It’s not just the coronavirus — bad theology is killing us
· Checking Your Blind Spot: Ways to Find and Fix Your Unconscious Bias
· A short comic gives the simplest, most perfect explanation of privilege
· Anti-Racism Resources for White People
· Your Kids Aren’t Too Young to Talk About Race: Resource Roundup
· Read past posts on our blog, including Ten Steps to Become a Better Racial Justice Ally.
Ways We Can Act to Make a Difference:
· Guide to Bystander Intervention
· Southern Poverty Law Center’s Tips on How to Respond to Everyday Bigotry
· 75 Things White People Can Do for Racial Justice
· The Right to Protest Information on the right to protest and how to do so safely, especially in the time of COVID-19.
Photo credit: Sally John