Steps in the Candidacy Process
- Complete all of the “Beginning Steps” and receive a positive entrance decision from the Lower Susquehanna Candidacy Committee.
- Receive a positive seminary admission decision
(For information on ELCA seminaries visit https://elcaseminaries.org/)
- Attend seminary and keep in touch with your relator on the Candidacy Committee about your experience and progress.
- Attend the annual Day of Formation with other candidates, their families, and members of the Candidacy Committee
- Grade reports are sent to the candidacy office.
- Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) reports are sent to the candidacy office.
- Endorsement interview and decision with two members of the Candidacy Committee. This usually occurs at your seminary during October of your second year. You will be required to write an essay determined by the ELCA for this interview.
- Internship reports are sent to the Candidacy office.
- Approval interview and decision with the Candidacy Committee. This usually occurs at the Lower Susquehanna Synod office during November or December of your senior year. You will again be required to write an essay determined by the ELCA for this interview.
- With a positive approval decision, you will be eligible for ordination or consecration.
- This process is really the beginning of a life-long process of continuing education and spiritual formation. In that spirit, once you are ordained or consecrated, you will be assigned to a First Call Theological Education group and mentor.