October 17, 2019, St. Matthew, York (part of Lower Susquehanna Synod’s Bishop’s Convocation):
“Reading the Bible to Find God”
(Launch Day is open to everyone – not just those seeking the certificate)
Presenters: Paul Scott Wilson (Author of 4 Pages of the Sermon) will present on “How do you preach biblically into context?” Presenter Tracy Radosevic (renown biblical storyteller) will reflect on “How do we tell better stories?”
October 18, 2019 St. Matthew, York
focused on “Transformational Preaching: How the Bible Points to Felt Needs”
During this retreat day, we will work on upcoming lectionary readings so participants will have practical take-aways to inform their preaching.
April 29 or 30, 2020, Location TBD
Certificate awarded – learning cohort with colleagues/within the congregation
Between October & April, soliciting questions in advance, we will host liturgically focused and enrichment webinars using Zoom technology. The webinars will be recorded and available for future viewing.
- November 21, 2019, 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Preaching Advent/Christmas with Paul Scott Wilson.
- December 5, 2019 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Preaching Epiphany Enrichment webinar with Dr. Deirdre Good.
- January 23, 2020, 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Preaching Lent/Easter with Paul Scott Wilson.
- February 20, 2020, 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Biblical Storytelling Enrichment with Tracy Radosevic.
Additional Webinar events may include the following:
- Last week of November, before Advent 1
By this time, the regional groups will have met and responded to a sermon of each other. The first part of the webinars could be us responding to questions and comments they have emailed in prior to the event. The rest of our time could be a discussion of how the liturgical season (in this case Advent) can motivate mission and responses to live questions. Theory and exercise for the coming weeks: theological inversion.
- End of January 2020: Same format as above. How post-Epiphany (Jan 12 is the first Sunday after) and Lent (begins Feb 26) texts can motivate mission.
- End of March 2020: Format as above. How Easter (April 1) and Sundays after texts motivate mission.